Friday, March 11, 2011

C-c-changes.

What has changed for me this past month?

I think the most surprising thing so far for me was the collection of poems we looked at by Alice Major and those by Erin Knight. Major and Knights' works both implicitly compare Edmonton to the great historical cities of the world, and for me, this is surprising. In fact, I find it slightly presumptuous. This is a young city, and I believe, as Lady Gaga says, that we should "respect our youth". It is true that Edmonton is a great city; but we don't have the same history as the cities Knight and Major as contrasting us with. We have a history, but it is a young one, one that is very very different from that of Rome for example, and while this does not necessarily make us inferior to the aforementioned city, I'm not sure that drawing those comparisons is a responsible way for writers to present Edmonton to the public.

I think what this has confirmed for me is that a dominant part of our discourse about the city is shaped by envy of other places. I believe this city is unique, and that that fact needs to be respected. This is not to say that we need to ignore the success of other places, but those poems seemed like a stretch to me from what Edmonton's real physical presence as a city is. I don't find Edmonton that mystical, but these views points have been very interesting, though I'm not sure I can articulate my exact feelings on it yet.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the poems... but I agree that they were comprised of a lot of pretty words and ideas that don't necessarily resonate with my conception of the city. I *want* to believe the mysticism behind the words, but I don't see Edmonton as having this pre-destined essence or anything within the stars that was mapped into reality.

    Even in Alice Major's poem, with the river being the east/west maker and the migration of birds being the north/south marker, I don't see how that really differentiates Edmonton from a *lot* of other cities. It was a cute metaphor to use to bring a poetic significance to Edmonton's destination (and destiny as a city?), but poetic significance isn't necessarily indicative of significance in reality. Magpies are found in many cities as well... As are coyotes.

    That aside, I really was fond of the poetry. I just agree that it's quite presumptuous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the poems alot and didn't find the idea as far-fetched as you but I can see your argument. I think Alice Major was implying that Edmonton is older than most of us think because it was here before white men settled. She talks about nature and the Aboriginals and the communities that they had established. Although I think I see her point in this poem and find it is relevant, your post did make me second guess my thoughts, and the Gaga quote, well, Gaga is my girl so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kinda agree with all the interpretations and opinions of this poem, as stated by yourself and the comments. i agree that the poems stretch themselves a little thin with their analogy of ancient cities; however, i think it is important to remember that history doesn't begin with the fur trade. but as a city, it kind of does. there is a lot of history in edmonton and in its ground but it's not necessarily a history about edmonton until it becomes something of a city. is that ethnocentric of me? maybe?

    i fully agree with the lady gaga quote (no closeted gaga fan here) and i think that edmonton, in a way, belongs to its youth. youth not necessarily defined by a specific age range. the ones who are trapped here over summer because they can't afford to leave or students who have to work for their next year's tuition, etc. maybe it's because i only know the city through exchanges with my peers but the city is young, the people are young, and the summer we all seem to love is also somehow always young.

    ReplyDelete